Abdominoplasty in Costa Rica
Abdominoplasty is a cosmetic surgery procedure that aims to correct excess skin, fat and muscle flaccidity of the abdomen, which can occur after pregnancy, high weight loss or a lack of collagen that allows a “apron” to be made. ”.
The result of this operation is a flatter, firmer abdomen and a smaller waist. Even so, it must be clear that the operation does not serve to lose weight, since its purpose is not to eliminate fat, therefore, patients must be at the ideal weight.
It is also important to understand that if you gain weight again or go through another pregnancy, the skin will stretch again and the effect obtained with this abdominal surgery will be lost.
How do i know if i am a candidate for an abdominoplasty?
This procedure is applicable to both men and women, who have a good figure, but have excess abdominal fat, sagging skin, abdominal muscles lost tone, and who have not managed to improve with a balanced diet and exercises.
It is very useful in women who had several pregnancies, and the skin lost its initial tone, or patients who lost a lot of weight and the skin could not return to its original shape.
If a patient plans to continue losing weight or having more pregnancies, she will have to postpone the operation, as the results would be lost.
What type of anesthesia is used in abdominoplasty?
Depending on the patient, general or epidural anesthesia may be used. This will depend on the medical evaluation and the type of abdominoplasty that needs to be performed.
Types of abdominoplasty
Depending on the needs of each patient, the doctor may determine slightly different procedures.
- Mini abdominoplasty without umbilical detachment: if there is excess skin and slight fat below the navel, this option is chosen. In this procedure the navel is not touched.
- Vertical scar tummy tuck: If there is some excess skin below the belly button, more skin needs to be removed and a new belly button formed. Patients who undergo such an operation usually have a small vertical scar on top of the area.
- Classic or standard abdominoplasty: when there is a lot of skin left over, it is removed and joined with the pubis and groin. The scar is usually easy to hide.
- Abdominoplasty with lateral extensions: this intervention is used to correct the excesses on the sides of the abdomen.
- Circumferential abdominoplasty or contourplasty: when the weight loss has been great and generalized, it needs to be done throughout the trunk, for this reason there are scars on the buttocks.
Difference between liposuccion and abdominoplasty
A common query is to believe that a tummy tuck will make us lose weight by removing fat from the abdomen, but this is not the case. If what you want is to eliminate fat only, the corresponding procedure is a liposuction, for which we recommend at Esbelt Clinic, a laser liposculpture (also known as lipolaser) that allows you to eliminate fat, and model the silhouette.
Not always that a lipolaser is performed, a tummy tuck should also be used, and neither will every patient who needs to remove excess skin will need a lipolaser, but they are two procedures that complement each other in many cases, giving better results than the previous ones. separate procedures.